[kwlug-disc] New Linux PC Build Advice

Lucas Fryzek lucas.fryzek at fryzekconcepts.com
Thu Oct 26 11:45:33 EDT 2023

On Thu, 2023-10-26 at 11:35 -0400, Chris Irwin via kwlug-disc wrote:
> Some people have issues, and still prefer X11, for gaming
> specifically. Some people seem to not notice issues. YMMV. For
> reference, the Steam Deck is still using X11 I believe, although
> they've implemented a Wayland compositor in the middle to abstract a
> lot of details (gamescope). They're still driving the actual display
> with X11 (I haven't seen any news that this has changed). I believe
> games on Steam Deck are typically [Game] -> [XWayland] ->
> [Gamescope/Wayland compositor] -> [KWin/X11]. Seems to work for them,
> and the gamescope middleware provides some *significant* QOL
> improvements.
>
> FWIW, I've been using Wayland for years and am very happy with it.
> But I don't do a lot of Linux gaming at the moment, though I try to
> keep up with the related news.

I believe the steamdeck only uses Wayland and X11 is emulated through
XWayland. The reason being Wine/proton need some of the features of X11
to pass data from the win32 API to the X11 windows, and there is no
extension in wayland right now that would let them do that. XDC 2023
just happened last week and there were a few valve and wine people
there that talked a bit about this if your interested in learning more
about it. Here are some of the presentations I specifically remember
that talk about what wine is doing and then one that talks about
gamescope that touches on some of the wayland stuff (but its mostly
focused on colour management)

- https://indico.freedesktop.org/event/4/contributions/199/https://indico.freedesktop.org/event/4/contributions/178/https://indico.freedesktop.org/event/4/contributions/202/

Regards,
Lucas