[kwlug-disc] Bank of Canada launching public consultations on a digital dollar

Doug Moen doug at moens.org
Fri May 12 19:50:55 EDT 2023

> In the end, no matter what system we use, be it paper or digits, it will still be unfairly distributed.

True, but this could still address an important social justice issue.
If you are homeless, there's a good chance that you can't get a bank account or a credit card.
You rely on cash, but it's increasingly hard to use cash to participate in the economy. It won't work for internet purchases, for one thing.
A digital cash card (that you can get without ID, or a bank account, or other credentials) would allow you to buy things or receive money in some cases where cash doesn't work.