[kwlug-disc] Troubleshooting sound on BBB

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Tue Mar 28 21:51:15 EDT 2023

Paul's description of the sound is similar to something I've experienced
using Jitsi. I think (speculation) it has to do with echo cancellation
and latency, either in the network or within the remote device. It seems
as if the echo gets cancelled a fraction of a second too late causing
very loud bits, or the remote audio gets cancelled instead of the local
audio.

On Jitsi the fix is to stop and start the session at the remote end, ie.
the end not experiencing the problem, but likely causing it by not doing
echo cancelling properly. Of course, with a large number of participants
it would be infeasible for everyone except John to stop and start their
session..

If it *is* echo cancelling then using headphones may reduce or eliminate
the problem.

How busy is John's device when this happens? Are there other tasks
running? Does eliminating the video affect the problem?

--Bob.