[kwlug-disc] Need a new SSD ...

Mark Steffen mark at steffen.ca
Mon Mar 27 12:46:54 EDT 2023

The TBWs are usually low-ball numbers to give the mfgs lots of leeway.  Crucial puts in stuff that is all over the map.  The latest b47r MX500s (that aren’t QLC) use 176 layer TLC NAND and should have insane amounts of endurance as long as you aren’t hammering it with sync writes and are mindful of optimising write amplification in RAID/ZFS use cases.  But, it’s luck of the draw because you may get a 2TB or 4TB MX500 that is QLC … that’s the problem with consumer grade stuff, and how the mfgs are purposely vague about what is inside (WD Blue SSDs are the same, I think they are QLC now so you only hear them say “3D NAND” oooh thanks!).

I love the MX500s but that I can’t tell if the next one I order will be QLC, I’m dropping them.  Safe bet for a quality consumer SSD would be the Samsung EVO right now imho.