[kwlug-disc] Bixby

Ronald Barnes ron at ronaldbarnes.ca
Mon Jun 19 15:05:20 EDT 2023

Jeff Smith wrote on 2023-06-19 07:27:

> Just noticed a new thing on my Android phone, called Bixby.  Essentially
> it answers the phone, asks the caller what they want,  then sends the
> phone owner a text, then can take your reply to the caller.
>
> Has anyone ever used or heard of this?  Does it work?  This is my work
> phone so I need to be careful.

Bixby is a notorious Samsung thing - notorious because it can't be
uninstalled and there is/was a hardware button dedicated to it that
couldn't be re-mapped.

I'm a infrequent user of Google Assistant. There's some overlap of Bixby
functionality I think.

Handy for making calls, and various tasks when hands are full / dirty, etc.

Also, there's some feature on Android for screening calls that's very
handy; unsure if that's Google Assistant. Sounds similar to Bixby in
that regard too.