[kwlug-disc] Docker Host Appliance

Doug Moen doug at moens.org
Sun Jan 15 21:24:36 EST 2023

ZFS has a limitation where you can not add disks to a RAIDz vdev. Work to fix this began in 2017. A bunch of web pages claim that the work was completed last year. However, the pull request is still open:
    https://github.com/openzfs/zfs/pull/12225

The code is feature complete and the remaining work seems to involve testing. If you read the comments, a number of people are using it experimentally and have written tooling for the new feature. But it's not released yet.
A comment from last week says
    we on the iX side are taking a serious look at this right now to determine when to incorporate it into TrueNAS SCALE.