[kwlug-disc] Docker Host Appliance

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Sat Jan 7 02:45:03 EST 2023

After spending the last few decades happily doing home server work the
hard way (manually managed servers & VMs), I've finally got tired/lazy
enough to start looking at simplifying to pre-packaged solutions.

Migrated my NAS server to TrueNAS Scale, and migrated my VM host to
XCP-NG. Both seem to work well, are easy to manage, and "just work" in
the background to do what you want: Host Files, or Host VMs.

Now I'm looking at containers. I've done some experimentation with
podman & docker, and think it would make sense to migrate some of my
services, away from dedicated (manual) Virtual Machines.

However, *what do I host them on?*

I really don't want to just install docker manually on another
manually-managed install of Fedora/etc.

TrueNAS Scale has a fairly decent, if somewhat minimal docker host
built-in, accessible through the web interface. Home Assistant seems to
have one as well (though catered to their own ecosystem).

Surely there's some simple container-host OS that doesn't require me to
architect the whole system from scratch, manage my own updates, etc?

Is my search-foo failing, or is everybody really rolling their own
container hosts?

--
Chris Irwin

email:   chris at chrisirwin.ca