[kwlug-disc] ChatGTP + Bing: we're entering a new paradigm and it's mind-blowing

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Thu Feb 16 13:27:37 EST 2023

On Thu, Feb 16, 2023 at 6:26 AM Ronald Barnes <ron at ronaldbarnes.ca> wrote:

> Khalid Baheyeldin wrote on 15/02/2023 11.53:
>
> > Here are two videos by two professors, one in physics and one in
> > astophysics.
>
> 66½ / 90 or 73.9%.  Just below the average Columbia non-science major
> student, on an open-book, calculators allowed test.

As I said, the main issue here is the "expectation vs. reality". The
'analysts' expected
Google's AI to be perfect and not make mistakes. Once it did, in a well
publicized way,
the stock price took a big hit, because it is 'inferior'.

Note, I'm still enjoying the awe of the achievements of ChatGPT.

> I won't be surprised when, like the "Information Superhighway" became a
> misinformation / disinformation sewer, the GPTs of the world are used to
> sell more advertisements, and worse.

It is not only mis/dis-information.

It is plain wrong answers.
We humans are mostly lazy and use short cuts.
If certain segments of society depend on this AI, then many bad things will
happen. Think engineering, law, fact checking, and much more ...

The issue is the underlying training data set. There is no 'clean' such
set, so
the issue will remain until that aspect is addressed. I am skeptical it
would
ever be addressed, because of the effort, time and cost involved.