[kwlug-disc] Wi-fi questions

CrankyOldBugger crankyoldbugger at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 15:00:00 EST 2023

Lots of great comments from many people here.  Thanks!

Another related question..  I was looking through the admin pages of the
Synology router (a RT2600ac, to be precise) and I noticed that there's an
option to add a mesh wi-fi (called "Wi-Fi points").  I'm pretty sure that
mesh wi-fi wasn't t thing when I bought this router, so I'm going to assume
that recent firmware upgrades introduced this option behind my back..

So if I wanted to go the mesh route in a proprietary manner, then the
recommended AP point is the Synology MR2200ac, which sort of stands on its
own as a wireless router, but integrated almost automatically with my
current RH2600ac.  It's nearly $200 on Amazon, though.  But it does allow
me to run a wired connection to it then have it magically tie in with the
existing SSIDs.  My only hope is that it has a decent reach out into the
backyard, so I can justify the cost with my wife...

To my knowledge, the Synology router is not supported by OpenWRT.  If it
was, then I would feel a bit better about security, etc.

So unless someone has a better idea (not that the ideas presented here so
far aren't great), I think I might go with the MR2200ac.

Thanks, everyone.