[kwlug-disc] Fw: Re: Wi-fi questions

Jason jasonpa at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 12:50:09 EST 2023

I wasn't going to talk about Ubiquiti but since you mentioned it...

The problem with Ubiquiti is you need to set up a UniFi Controller to
manage any of the hardware.  You don't have a simple web interface to
log into to change settings.
You can either get a piece of hardware like a Cloud Key, buy a router
that has one build in like a Dream Machine Pro, or host it yourself in
a VM/Container.

Now if you're willing to redo your entire network with Ubiquiti, we
can talk... There are definitely a lot of good things about the
switching/access point hardware.
The routing hardware is a bit basic, so if you're more than a novice,
you'd be better off with pfSense.

I have quite a large Ubiquiti network at home, including two access
points on different floors, which devices can switch between easily.
I'll go over this in my homelab presentation next month, but if you
are interested in switching to Ubiquiti, let me know.

Jason