[kwlug-disc] I finally have a reason to buy a 3D printer

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Mon Sep 19 00:30:55 EDT 2022

On Sat, Sep 17, 2022 at 01:37:05PM -0400, CrankyOldBugger wrote:
>https://hackaday.com/2022/09/17/3d-printer-upcycles-computer-case-to-das/
>
>tl;dr ....  this guy used a 3D printer to upcycle his old computer case
>into a DAS box (Direct Attached Storage) ..  Now I have a place to put all
>those old spinning disk drives I have lying around...

This is actually a pretty decent idea!

I ended up paying for a 4u chassis with a bunch of external drive bays.
Something like this would be a great option, and significantly more
budget friendly.

I could even live without a backplane as the cables are all accessible.

The external/internal SAS adapter isn't something I ever considered
existed before.

Thanks for sharing this.

--
Chris Irwin