[kwlug-disc] Yubi key

Doug Moen doug at moens.org
Tue Oct 25 14:08:49 EDT 2022

>  I would like to know whether the
> SoloKeys work well as a YubiKey alternative.

The problems I saw reported on Solokeys v1 were: flaky NFC, not working reliably on every cell phone, and USB C connector sometimes snaps off. These were fixed in v2 with a total hardware redesign, launched in Jan 2021 via Kickstarter. The current iteration of v2 is available on Indiegogo, but is not yet in the Solokeys shop on their web site. So you know that they haven't reached 1.0 yet for this product. Very indie.

Pandemic supply chain shortages are delaying the v2 project. Oh, and the Sept 10 2022 firmware update for v2 fixed an NFC bug but broke backward compatibility. Oops.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/conorpatrick/solo-v2-safety-net-against-phishing/posts/3604733

So I would expect rough edges and shipping delays for a while.

Yubikey isn't totally evil. They run the libfido2 project: https://github.com/Yubico/libfido2

Right now you should buy Yubikey if your primary goal is "works well" and you aren't bothered by the Yubikey TOS.