[kwlug-disc] Yubi key

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Tue Oct 25 13:16:50 EDT 2022

On Tue, Oct 25, 2022 at 11:42:35AM -0400, Doug Moen wrote:

> I only use Firefox and Ungoogled Chromium on Linux. Apparently,
> webauthn works on Linux. I haven't researched this much.

It works for me using my Yubikeys on Linux (Debian and Ubuntu). Both
Firefox and (Googled?) Chromium work. When I first started using my
Yubikey Firefox did not work reliably on my netbook, but that got
better.

> I am interested in hearing other people's experiences.

For my use case Webauthn was not enough. To log into the University of
Waterloo VPN I also needed OTP.

I was really happy for your writeup. I would like to know whether the
SoloKeys work well as a YubiKey alternative. Because I needed these
keys to log into my accounts I prioritized reliability, so I went with
the market leader. This was clearly sinful but I did not know which
(if any) alternatives to trust. I actually do not hate YubiCo as a
company (more sin!), but I do worry about it having a monopoly on the
market.

- Paul