[kwlug-disc] Firefox 106 "View" tab?

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Wed Oct 12 14:19:48 EDT 2022

On Wed, Oct 12, 2022 at 11:31:58AM -0400, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
>I upgraded today to Firefox 106 (on Xubuntu), and there is an annoying
>feature.
>
>It is a persistent tab in every browser window, called "Firefox View".
>It is like a pinned tab, but you cannot close it.
>One feature is "Tab Pickup" for switching tabs to other devices, but it
>wants you to sign up for an account.
>I am not interested in that, but can't close that "View".

It looks like you just right-click on it and select "Remove from
Toolbar" if you don't want it on your toolbar.

https://www.ghacks.net/2022/09/22/mozilla-is-testing-a-new-feature-called-firefox-view/

I just enabled it via about:config on firefox 105, and it appears to be
removed as mentioned.

FWIW, it doesn't work in 105 -- I get the icon to add/remove from the
toolbar, but the actual Firefox Sync landing page isn't included yet.

I'll actually use this, and hope it's included in 106 Release.

>I searched on "Firefox 106" and "Firefox View" and found nothing.

Had to use quotes, which found the ghacks discussion above:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=%22firefox-view%22

--
Chris Irwin

email:   chris at chrisirwin.ca