[kwlug-disc] To WIFI or not to WIFI

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Fri Oct 7 20:37:55 EDT 2022

On Thu, Oct 6, 2022 at 4:50 PM Jason Eckert <jason.eckert at gmail.com> wrote:

> So let’s do an experiment:
> 1. Get a cheap ($15) radiation dosimeter
> 2. Measure the background radiation (e.g. ticks/minute if it doesn't have
> an LED readout)
> 3. Put it next to a cell phone playing a video across cellular data (4G/5G
> LTE) & measure the ticks/minute
> 4. Put it next to a cell phone playing a video across WiFi (802.11n/ac/ax)
> & measure the ticks per minute
> 5. See whether 4G/5G LTE and/or 802.11n/ac/ax generate more than 15 times
> background radiation.

Jason,

Thanks for this.

I will read more on what dosimeters measure exactly.

Usually what is referred to as radiation is one of:

- Alpha particles (helium nuclei, which is what radon gas has seeing from
sump pump wells, floor drains, and foundation cracks.
- Beta particles (which is just electrons)
- Gamma radiation (which is photos at very high energy, as in Gamma rays)
- Neutrons (which is emitted by nuclear fission and such).

As you can see, what we term radiation is not one thing, but very different
things.
How will microwave radiation (cell phone or WiFi) cause the above?
If someone knows, please post a link ...

Note: I started reading about this a while back to measure radon in the
house, and got a detector for that, but it has proven tedious to track.
(I will post on that later, whether anyone is tracking radon in Home
Assistant, rather than from the LCD screen of a detector).