[kwlug-disc] Attendance

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Wed Oct 5 20:05:08 EDT 2022

On Wed, Oct 05, 2022 at 06:23:20PM -0400, Chris Frey wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 05, 2022 at 09:19:59AM -0400, Paul Nijjar via kwlug-disc wrote:
> > I disagree fairly strongly with this. The problem with online events
> > is that they are not special. For one thing there are so many of them.
> > For another you can convince yourself that you can just look at the
> > video if you skip the meeting. For a third attending such a meeting is
> > yet more time you are spending looking at a screen.
>
> Yet there are people who only post static youtube videos and get
> engagement with thousands of comments.

Yes, I agree that some people have big Youtube followings. Most
everybody else has no following. The ones with big followings have
something special about them.

> The "comments" we could have with this mailing list should be far
> higher quality than most youtube comments.
>
> Is "attendance" a big thing when it comes to virtual meetings, when
> there is video and the possibility of discussion afterward?

I think it is. Presenting to three people is disheartening.

> The presentations will not drive attendance.  It's what you get with
> a bunch of people all in the same place at the same time that drives
> that.  What can we change about the virtual meetings that would give
> something special to those who show up, that just can't happen otherwise?

I think that the aftermeetings and discussion list bind the group
together. However, on their own they do not drive attendance. If I am
new why would I feel confident to show up at a restaurant with a bunch
of strangers? The presentations get people in the door.

--
Election: https://waterlooregionvotes.org
Events: https://feeds.off-topic.kwlug.org