[kwlug-disc] Attendance

peter_melse at gto.net peter_melse at gto.net
Wed Oct 5 15:56:31 EDT 2022

I likely will not be able to attend in person for the foreseeable
future. (at least until covid is completely under control, and maybe not
then.)

The rest of my post is random ideas to increase membership, both local
and remote.

On the subject of promotion, I'd suggest a graphical email blast 30
minutes or so before the start of all meetings that are livestreamed.
Possibly a second one after the recording is available.
LOLUG (the london group, when it was running) had some great sessions in
a corner of coffee shops / bars on slow nights. There might be some
opportunity for partnership there.

Another possibility is going to a online-centric format the majority of
the time, with a major half or all day event once a year in a convention
format, perhaps with a monthly meeting preview meetup somewhere ad-hoc.

from a social media prospective, while I think most of us agree that
promoting open source platforms as a first class option is important,
the reality is it's not where the majority of people are. a selection of
content, (if only to establish a presence) filled with links and
in-content promotion kwlug.org would likely draw people in.

additionally, (and I'm borrowing from the microsoft playbook here) is to
get them while their young. advertisement with the uw's csclub, the
equivalent at wlu might be helpful.