[kwlug-disc] Attendance

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Wed Oct 5 09:19:59 EDT 2022

On Tue, Oct 04, 2022 at 10:11:03PM -0700, Ronald Barnes wrote:
> Paul Nijjar via kwlug-disc wrote on 2022-10-04 17:44:
>

> > I was expecting significantly more people for Doug's presentation
> > last month, for example. I think partially people are tired of
> > virtual meetings, and partially we have not been doing a good job of
> > publicizing the group,
> I think online has helped grow attendance since it's easier.

I disagree fairly strongly with this. The problem with online events
is that they are not special. For one thing there are so many of them.
For another you can convince yourself that you can just look at the
video if you skip the meeting. For a third attending such a meeting is
yet more time you are spending looking at a screen.

People make the "convenience" argument a lot (see also: voting) but I
feel that special events drive engagement more. I do not have solid
confirmation of this.

- Paul

--
Election: https://waterlooregionvotes.org