[kwlug-disc] folder encryption

Ronald Barnes ron at ronaldbarnes.ca
Sun Oct 2 13:36:13 EDT 2022

Hubert Chathi wrote on 2022-10-02 06:41:

> I use gocryptfs.  There are other tools as well.  You can see a
> comparison of them athttps://nuetzlich.net/gocryptfs/comparison/  and at
> https://www.cryfs.org/comparison  (written by the authors of gocryptfs
> and cryfs, respectively, so may be biased).

Those comparisons were really interesting.

> There are also GUI frontends for some of those to make things easier,
> such ashttps://mhogomchungu.github.io/sirikali/, or KDE Plasma Vault.

I'm using CryFS / KDE Plasma Vault to store some data and have been
mostly pleased with it.

It does seem to be the slowest, and GoCryptFS seems the fastest
according to the comparisons. But, CryFS is much more cloud-friendly.

Going to give some consideration on testing GoCryptFS, thanks for the
informative post!

rb