[kwlug-disc] bulk renaming with regex

Charles M chaslinux at gmail.com
Sat Oct 1 20:09:41 EDT 2022

Thanks for all the answers everyone. I have to stop trying to batch
everything in big batches. Last year I decided to wipe out my 8TB
drive and redo all the media (like a dummy), because I thought "I want
to embed subtitles in everything now that I know how." I
underestimated the time it would take to redo everything.

One thing I've found is it's a lot more work if I try to do several
stacks of media. Even though Handbrake seems to do an awesome job of
batch processing media (using a 10 core 20 thread XEON E5-2690v2) the
bulk of my time is spent renaming things. Xubuntu's Bulk rename is
nice for things like when I make a mistake in a show name and repeat
that mistake for several seasons. Thinking a batch script might be the
way to go for a counter on the episodes for renaming other things.

Lots to look at here. Thanks again,

Charles

On Sat, 1 Oct 2022 at 17:00, Bob Jonkman <bjonkman at sobac.com> wrote:

> If you want to bulk-rename files in a GUI, the filemanager 'caja' in the
> MATE desktop has an extension, 'caja-rename' that you can activate in
> the Preferences menu. It adds a second "Rename" option to the
> right-click menu when multiple files are selected.
>
> I'll bet other GUI filemanagers have similar extensions.
>
> --Bob.
>

> On 2022-09-28 19:54, Charles M wrote:
> > I have a bunch of videos I've ripped from my media and I'd like to
> > automate renaming of them. Xubuntu has a bulk renaming tool that will
> > let me rename the first part of the file. I'm wondering if there's a
> > simple regex that would work for renaming the second part (episodes).
> >
> > For example: I have a show that's the second season:
> >
> > showname - s01e01
> > showname - s01e02
> > showname - s01e03
> >
> > (Where s is season and e is episode)
> >
> > Does anyone use Xubuntu's bulk renaming tool to do something similar?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Charles

> --
> Bob Jonkman <bjonkman at sobac.com>          Phone: +1-519-635-9413
> SOBAC Microcomputer Services             http://sobac.com/sobac/
> Software   ---   Office & Business Automation   ---   Consulting
> GnuPG Fngrprnt:04F7 742B 8F54 C40A E115 26C2 B912 89B0 D2CC E5EA

Charles
Twitter/Identica/Google+: @chaslinux