[kwlug-disc] The Fediverse is complicated

Doug Moen doug at moens.org
Thu Nov 24 17:15:45 EST 2022

The video is very well presented and argued, and worth watching. Except I think Beau misunderstands Musk.

Since Musk is highly intelligent, despite being a maniac, I think that he does understand what advertisers want twitter to do. He's not "missing it" like the video says, he just has radically different priorities from what people assume the owner of twitter should be prioritizing. Probably the root of it is that he wants the freedom to say anything he wants on Twitter, without having to hold back or worry about being censored because "advertisers don't want those kinds of tweets on twitter". Freedom to do what he wants: that's libertarianism. So his first priority is to redesign Twitter from the bottom up into a "free speech" platform where *everybody* is both comfortable using the platform and has the freedom to discuss any topic or criticize any position. He's not trying to recreate Gab or Truth Social, where left wing thought is heavily censored. But he does want most Gab and Truth Social users to be welcome on his platform. His second priority is to find a funding model that works for this new free speech social media platform. Evidently he is comfortable with losing advertisers and going through bankruptcy while on the path of realizing this vision.

So yes, Elon is under a lot of financial pressure due to adding $30 billion of debt to twitter (with interest payments coming due) while at the same time tanking twitters revenue stream due to his actions. And this pressure and frustration has led to tweets that attack activists and advertisers, and make it look like he's a moron. But based on his past accomplishments, I don't think he's actually a moron, he just has priorities and beliefs that are hard to understand.

I am not necessarily endorsing Musk's project or saying that his goals are achievable or desirable, I'm just interpreting what I think Musk is trying to do, based on his public statements. So please try to separate my own personal opinions and politics from Musk's if you reply.