[kwlug-disc] The Fediverse is complicated

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Thu Nov 24 15:47:44 EST 2022

On Wed, Nov 23, 2022 at 2:49 PM Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:

> Quoting Khalid Baheyeldin (kb at 2bits.com):
>
> > The social media companies are private entities and want to make
> > money.  That money comes from advertisers. If there is too much
> > objectionable content, they will cease to advertise. It is like "no
> > shirt, no shoes, no service".
>
> "Beau of the Fifth Column" (journalist Justin King of Florida) had a
> shrewd if homespun explanation, two weeks ago, about Space Karen and
> his rapid destruction of Twitter, Inc.'s revenue model:  As King points
> out, Mr. Musk destroyed (_even a fortnight ago_) advertisers' perception
> that the bird site is a "brand safe" place to advertise.
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byazeV3gfis&t=353s
>
> Since then, Mr. Musk actually threatened (in writing) the company's
> advertisers in various tweets, speaking of raining legal ruin upon them
> for, in his eyes, disloyalty.

This video is just brilliant.
Thanks Rick ...

Worth watching all of it, not just from the timestamp in the above link.

It explains why the whole rant of the right about "social media companies
are impinging on our freedom of speech" is not real, and that the whole
issue is capitalism and money.

Surprising that someone like Elon Musk have veered from a libertarian
to ultra right in the span of a year or so ...

He may still turn it around given his track record of execution, but the
hodge podge approach so far does not instill confidence into users or
advertisers.
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin