[kwlug-disc] The Fediverse is complicated

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Nov 22 21:24:25 EST 2022

Quoting Paul Nijjar via kwlug-disc (kwlug-disc at kwlug.org):

> "The infamous federated timeline" and the many schisms that are
> happening right now are making me glad not to be a Mastodon admin. My
> claim that "the fediverse is complicated" still stands.
>
> The decisions Mastodon has made around federation are.. interesting.

Each Mastodon admin can and should set/enforce local policy as to
allowed local/federated content et cetera.  This ensures that policies
across the Fediverse will be as diverse as the admins are, and that some
of those worthies will go on hashtag campaigns to urge all others to
defederate this-or-that instance over $SOME_REASON with greater or
lesser logic.

It's fun to watch, if you have absolutely nothing better to do.