[kwlug-disc] Promoting on Twitter, for the moment I guess

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sat Nov 19 23:12:51 EST 2022

Quoting Doug Moen (doug at moens.org):

> Here's a possible Mastodon instance:
> https://fosstodon.org/
> 36K users

Another to consider, that FWIW I have joined (because speciality interest):
https://infosec.exchange/

"A Mastodon instance for info/cyber security-minded people."
Administered by:  Jerry Bell.
29k active users.

For any such host in the Fediverse, it's wise to carefully check the
terms of service and probable nature/quirks of administration.

One also wants to review, IMO, the instance's moderated-servers list.

> Fosstodon is a Mastodon instance that is dedicated to Free & Open
> Source Software, or FOSS as many call it.

Views Differ[tm] on this, but the term "FOSS" has never seemed a wise
idea, to me, though "FLOSS" is worse.

On fosstodon.org's pages, I search in vain for the name(s) or anything
else about the administrator(s).  Personally, I think the human factor
matters quite a great deal.  I'm leery of the "You don't need to know
who I am and what I'm like" stance that is has always been taken by some
site admins over the history of open source.  I prefer to know who, and
something about what he/she/they are about.

Regrettably, fosstodon.org also had the disadvantage (to me) that I
sometimes use languages other than English, and fosstodon.org
specifically bans tooting in non-English languages (French, Norwegian,
sometimes others), on the understandable grounds that it would interfere
with moderation.

BTW, thank you for the useful links, Doug, in the post I'm replying to.
They were quite useful.

--
Cheers,                        My pid is Inigo Montoya.  You kill -9
Rick Moen                      my parent process.  Prepare to vi.
rick at linuxmafia.com
McQ!  (4x80)