[kwlug-disc] A Linus Torvalds quote to make your day

Andrew Sullivan Cant acant at alumni.uwaterloo.ca
Tue Nov 15 19:50:57 EST 2022

Doug,

> Ok, weird language. I just got through methods, blocks, procs, &, and yield. I now see how a very strange feature of Swift (trailing closures) was copied from a much worse feature of Ruby. I'm more interested from an historical / anthropology perspective at this point.

It is a weird language. :)

I have never seen an in-depth write up of Ruby history, but that would
be pretty cool.

Wikipedia has a page, which gives some basics and links but also needs
to be expanded:

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Ruby

The official Ruby site has some history too:

* https://www.ruby-lang.org/en/about/

TL;DR Perl and Lisp got smushed together, and had some Python inspiration.

And tada you got Ruby!

Andrew