[kwlug-disc] Bash Autocompletion (Nov 2022)

Ronald Barnes ron at ronaldbarnes.ca
Tue Nov 8 05:55:20 EST 2022

Paul Nijjar via kwlug-announce wrote on 2022-11-05 00:11:

> Our second presentation this month will feature a deep dive into
> autocompletion in the Bash shell. John Steel will show us how
> autocompletion works, and some ways to set up autocompletions for your
> own programs.

I forgot to mention it during the meeting, so this seems a good time -
one can colourize their auto-completions by adding variations of these
lines to their /etc/inputrc:

> ## From "man readline":
> set colored-completion-prefix on
> set colored-stats on
> set completion-ignore-case on
> set completion-map-case on

I've been using the first two options for quite a while, and when
looking at long items, say Docker container IDs, colourizing the parts
that match what's been typed is invaluable.

Just added the last 2 options to my /etc/inputrc a few minutes ago; no
results to report on them yet.

rb