[kwlug-disc] Trust in Musk.. or go to NextCloud

Chris Frey cdfrey at foursquare.net
Fri Nov 11 14:55:27 EST 2022

On Fri, Nov 11, 2022 at 02:24:01PM -0500, Eva B wrote:
> Unless a new way of looking at polarization is discovered, any new platform
> will be subject to it.

I think the paper-publishing method is more aligned with the correct
approach, but instead of just peer-review, we need replication.

That is, anyone can write a paper, but only the papers that stand up
to being reproducible can be relied on.  And reproducible by your enemy!

Right now there are a lot of scientific papers that have not been
replicated, and even some that cannot be replicated.  Those should be
given far less weight than what is replicated.

Moving that to the free speech world, anyone can say something, but it
is only what can be replicated that is true.

If scientists from opposing idealogical camps can both reproduce an
experiment successfully, now we're onto something.  If reporters from
opposing idealogical camps report the same event the same way, we
have something to go on.  etc.

Once that happens, we don't care whether the source is right or left anymore.
We only have truth and lies.

And if we can't get to that point, we know we have a lot of liars messing
up the world.

The point being, instead of trying to squash the left or right,
or "wrongthink", make use of the conflict to find truth.  We need
all sides wide open, with a record of what people say, so we can go
back and say "This person lied about X" and it is obvious to both sides.
Then you have a worthy metric with which to weight (not block) people's
future speech.

Wouldn't it be useful to have a button on twitter that lists all the
lies a person tweeted, ever, which cannot be deleted?  Reading over the
list would soon help you decide whether you wanted to follow them or not.

- Chris