[kwlug-disc] Promoting on Twitter, for the moment I guess

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Sun Nov 6 22:59:05 EST 2022

On Sun, Nov 06, 2022 at 09:11:31PM -0500, Doug Moen wrote:
> Here's a possible Mastodon instance:
>
> https://fosstodon.org/
> 36K users
> Fosstodon is a Mastodon instance that is dedicated to Free & Open Source Software, or FOSS as many call it. Fosstodon is for people who are interested in open source technology and the awesome community around it. Whether that be Linux, open source software like Firefox, or Mastodon itself. If you're interested in technology, Fosstodon is a great place to start.
>
> Disclaimer: I don't use Mastodon. But I've seen this instance referenced before on a tech forum.
>
> User names are tied to a specific instance, since they contain the domain name of the instance.
> I've seen that some people register a domain name and create their own instance, just so that they will permanently own their Mastodon address. So it's like email addresses, the difference between "me at gmail.com" and "me at mydomain.ca".

It looks like you can have somebody else run the server, but make it
look like it comes from your domain? It does not look too difficult:
https://blog.maartenballiauw.be/post/2022/11/05/mastodon-own-donain-without-hosting-server.html

If this is true then we could set up kwlug at kwlug.org or
kwlug at mastodon.kwlug.org or kwlug at toots.kwlug.org as the published
address for this hypothetical Mastodon account. I have the power to
create kwlug.org subdomains pretty easily, and I can put a text file
somewhere.

- Paul