[kwlug-disc] Promoting on Twitter, for the moment I guess

Doug Moen doug at moens.org
Sun Nov 6 21:11:31 EST 2022

Here's a possible Mastodon instance:

https://fosstodon.org/
36K users
Fosstodon is a Mastodon instance that is dedicated to Free & Open Source Software, or FOSS as many call it. Fosstodon is for people who are interested in open source technology and the awesome community around it. Whether that be Linux, open source software like Firefox, or Mastodon itself. If you're interested in technology, Fosstodon is a great place to start.

Disclaimer: I don't use Mastodon. But I've seen this instance referenced before on a tech forum.

User names are tied to a specific instance, since they contain the domain name of the instance.
I've seen that some people register a domain name and create their own instance, just so that they will permanently own their Mastodon address. So it's like email addresses, the difference between "me at gmail.com" and "me at mydomain.ca".

masto.host is a popular hosting service for people who want their own instance (see above) but are not sysadmin enough to set it up themselves. There is a monthly fee. It is a one person operation, run by Hugo, and it is in Beta.

You can migrate an account to a new instance. It's not trivial and painless tho. You can download your toots but you can't import them into a new account? I hope I'm missing something?
https://docs.joinmastodon.org/user/moving/#migration

Doug.