[kwlug-disc] Ubuntu review on Distrowatch

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Tue May 3 10:22:10 EDT 2022

On Tue, May 3, 2022 at 10:17 AM CrankyOldBugger <crankyoldbugger at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Despite my recent whining, and the mixed reviews on the internet regarding
> Ubuntu 22.04, I am still sticking with Ubuntu.  Stay with what you know,
> right?

Same here.
Not only "what you know", but it makes the servers I manage and the
desktops exactly the same from the command line.
No surprises, consistency, updates at the same time, versions of Python,
PHP, Perl, ...etc. are all the same, and much more.
All with debian apt goodness.

So far, one in-place upgrade from 21.10 to 22.04 went without a hitch,
> while a 20.04 to 22.04 (lts to lts) failed miserably (and I'm now repaving
> that system).  I will say that normally Ubuntu upgrades usually fail for
> me, while Fedora upgrades tend work every time, so there's that...

As I said, I usually wait until the xx.04.1 release, which usually has all
the instabilities ironed out.
Upgrading from LTS to LTS never failed for me.
But I am on XFCE, not GNOME.