[kwlug-disc] Ubuntu review on Distrowatch

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Tue May 3 10:09:51 EDT 2022

On Tue, May 3, 2022 at 12:08 AM William Park via kwlug-disc <
kwlug-disc at kwlug.org> wrote:

> https://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20220502#ubuntu
>
> [Last paragraph]
> I think the launch of Ubuntu 22.04 is a clear sign Canonical is much
> more interested in publishing releases on a set schedule than producing
> something worthwhile. This version was not ready for release and it's is
> probably going to be a costly endeavour to maintain this collection of
> mixed versioned software and mixed display server and mixed designs for
> a full five years. It's a platform I would recommend avoiding.

Usually, I wait until the .1 release before attempting to upgrade (i.e.
22.04.1).
This usually takes a few months at minimum. Trying to run
do-release-upgrade
returns a message saying do you want to install a development release
(implying
that the 22.04 upgrade is not ready yet.

Then, I downloaded and burned a DVD of the Xubuntu 22.04 64bit image.
One objective was to see if snapd is needed or can I just uninstall it like
I do on 20.04, per
the recent thread.

Tried to install it on a spare old laptop, and it did not go well.
It took ages to just get a GUI going. Something like the good part of an
hour.
Then it popped up a message about xfwm crashing, and kept accessing the DVD
continuously.
Can't proceed with using the Live DVD nor install it.

Attempted twice, same failure both times.
So I gave up and installed Xubuntu 20.04, and it installed without a hitch.
And indeed snapd can be removed without issues on a fresh install, and
Firefox is an apt.