[kwlug-disc] Zoneminder anyone?

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Tue Mar 29 17:42:17 EDT 2022

Hello all ...

I am considering installing one (probably a few) surveillance cameras at
home.
Although wiring is tedious, using Power over Ethernet (PoE) is better so
one UPS can keep the cameras running, and not deal with WiFi's
idiosyncrasies.

When Costco had the 8 camera plus NVR bundle on sale, I grabbed it, knowing
that if I did not install it, I have 90 days to return it.
They are Lorex 4k bullet style camera 8MP, made by Dahua. They have a
smaller sensor (1/2.8", instead of 1/1.8"), and a 2.8mm lens (so wide
angle, and therefore less detail at night).

Judging by what the discussions at IPCamTalk the larger sensor ones are
better for night vision, even though they are 5MP.

So asking if anyone used PoE cameras for surveillance, and what they
learned. Which models, which features, what price range.

More relevant to this group: does anyone use Zoneminder for any of these
PoE cameras, rather than a proprietary NVR? Again, what features do they
like/rely on?
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.