[kwlug-disc] Firefox blasphemy: time to switch to Blink rendering engine?

Andrew Sullivan Cant acant at alumni.uwaterloo.ca
Sat Mar 12 15:34:40 EST 2022

> I would want Mozilla to remain on that steering committee, no matter what.
>
> And this WebGPU sounds interesting.

 > Agree, I think.  I want them on the committee, but if Mozilla has access
 > to the open-sourced rendering engine, I'm not sure about what
 > detrimental direction Google & Apple could take us in.  Perhaps a
 > failure of imagination on my part.

I agree AND I think this is a reason why they need to keep working on a
renderer/browser.

Standards, and web standards in particular, are established by a
combination of standard setting and implementation.

If Mozilla did not have a browser, then Google/Apple could just choose
not to implement a standards which were not profitable for them. Then
either the standard would be dead, or someone would need to start
another browser.

Similarly, if Google/Apple are the gatekeeper on the primary fork they
can just not merge changes they don't like. Someone else could maintain
a fork with the new feature, but now you have basically re-create
Mozilla/Firefox.

So, I guess make a donation to Mozilla and use Firefox? ;)

Andrew