[kwlug-disc] Upgrading RAM - CAS, latency, ...

Ron Singh ronsingh149 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 00:28:42 EST 2022

If the used RAM is DDR3-1600(which, if I recall correctly, actually is
1333Mhz effective speed), buy it and add it to your system -- if it is
DDR3-1333(clocking in at 1066Mhz effective speed), then *don't* buy it as
it will slow down all the system's RAM to 1066Mhz effective speed.

I recall 4G DDR3 modules were mostly available as DDR3-1066/1333(meaning
8500/1066Mhz effective). Not sure if any was made as DDR3-1600.
8G modules were mostly DDR3-1600(1333Mhz effective speed), so you might be
better served hunting for a deal on that capacity.

Thanks,

Ron S.