[kwlug-disc] Upgrading RAM - CAS, latency, ...

Ronald Barnes ron at ronaldbarnes.ca
Mon Mar 7 22:31:26 EST 2022

Ron Singh wrote on 2022-03-07 19:07:

> Model of mobo and CPU model will help to determine what speed the RAM
> will be clocked at.

Mobo specs from lshw:

ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
M5A99X EVO R2.0
AMD FX(tm)-8320 Eight-Core Processor

> What is the speed rating of the used DDR3?

Unsure - will have to examine it pre-purchase.

> As a rule, you*can*  use slower RAM, but the entire system will clock
> down to accommodate the slower RAM(which you no want).

Yeah, looks like my RAM is rated for 1600MHz but is running at 1333MHz
due to ... BIOS settings? Motherboard limitations?

Motherboard appears to support these RAM DIMMs:

1066MHz - 1866MHz and 2133MHz OverClocked.

(Side note: cannot copy from the PDF - Okular says: "Copy forbidden by
DRM".  That's just weird.)

Looks like I can set the Memory Frequency to 1600MHz under the "Ai
Tweaker" tab in BIOS.

That helpful tip was followed by pages of mind-numbing (YMMV) info on
overclocking.

I think I may play with these a bit, at least memory frequency to
1600MHz initially, before I even buy more RAM.

Thanks!

rb