[kwlug-disc] Has anyone want to try out Mozilla Hubs?

Ronald Barnes ron at ronaldbarnes.ca
Mon Mar 7 22:44:57 EST 2022

Khalid Baheyeldin wrote on 2022-03-07 19:28:

>> And*what*  is Mozilla doing developing these things, I just don't
>> understand.
>>
>> Like a leaky, rudderless ship adrift in a storm, they're doubling
>> down on their square dancing skills.
>>
> That is an accurate and concise description of what Mozilla has
> become in the past 5 or 10 years.

Thank you.

> They lost their original mission of putting out a fast capable
> browser, and started to copy what Chrome does, and repeated
> stripping down of customizability and reduced functionality by going
> into ultra-minimalism.

Some of that was painful but necessary - removing XUL access from
add-ons, for example.

And URL bar under tabs - I now agree that it's the best placement for it.

But some of the other stuff? I'm still angry that I can't right-click >
Page Info > Media > Block Images.

> And they always jump after whatever fad there is ...

Yeah, agree, but when 10% of user base is switching to Chrome every few
months, maybe mimicking Chrome isn't a bad idea to stem the losses.
Maybe.  In retrospect, sure didn't work though.

> This is indeed a ship that has no commander ...

That's not quite true - the commander is fiercely busy:

> In 2018 she received a total of $2,458,350 in compensation from
> Mozilla, which represents a 400% payrise since 2008.[14]
>
> By 2020, her salary had risen to over $3 million.
>
> In the same year the Mozilla Corporation laid
>
> off approximately 250 employees due to shrinking revenues.

Shovelling cash at that rate would tire out 10 people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitchell_Baker#Mozilla_Foundation_and_Mozilla_Corporation