[kwlug-disc] HTTPS Everywhere sunsets in January 2023

Andrew Sullivan Cant acant at alumni.uwaterloo.ca
Tue Jun 14 16:25:29 EDT 2022

 > Isn't crypto a brutal form of capitalism. The one in which there is no
 > court and a way to return stolen?

I read a blog post in the last few days which talked about this.

https://www.devever.net/~hl/ruthlessness

Terence Eden also wrote a recent blog on the theme, working through what
would happen if his house burnt down and he lost all his 2FA tokens and
password vaults. If everything is crypto and the rules are only software
he, and we, would be in trouble

https://shkspr.mobi/blog/2022/06/ive-locked-myself-out-of-my-digital-life/

The original conception of the Butlerian Jihad from the Dune novels was
also supposed to be a revolt against this kind of strict over
automation, and results in the banning of computers and mechanized
automation.

https://dune.fandom.com/wiki/Butlerian_Jihad/DE

(At least in the original books and the Dune Encyclopedia.
i.e., the correct version,
i.e.i.e the version that I like :)
)

Dune also comments on the over dependency on rules the even without
computers, and how human judgement can be effectively eliminated, making
those systems just as ruthless and in-flexible as machine automated systems.

Which also reminds me of Charlie Stoss's description of corporations as
old slow AIs.

http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/2018/01/dude-you-broke-the-future.html

And now I am going to stop my SF/automation spiral. :)

Andrew