[kwlug-disc] Google with TOTP

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Wed Jun 8 16:41:04 EDT 2022

On Wed, Jun 8, 2022 at 4:14 PM Znoteer via kwlug-disc <kwlug-disc at kwlug.org>
wrote:

> I use neither yoogle nor jeemail, but I saw a thread on another mailing
> list (getmail) dealing with not having an available online phone when
> needing to authenticate.  Maybe it can give you some ideas.
>
> The whole thread is here: https://marc.info/?t=165419083600001&r=1&w=2
>
> The specifice message where it starts to get interesting for you is here:
> https://marc.info/?l=getmail&m=165428416217310&w=2
>
> Hmm, there were actually some links posted in earlier messages than the
> one I just pointed out, so it might be worthwhile giving the whole thread a
> scan.

Thanks.

I saw the same thread yesterday, and saw Charles Cabzon's post you linked
to.
He says it could be done, but does not say how specifically.
Moreover, what made this insufficient for me is that he does NOT use Google
nor Gmail.

I went my Google account, then Security, and proceeded with the 2 Step
Verification,
but not far enough to the point of no return.

It is very odd that searching on TOTP/FreeOTP with Google does not yield
anything
specific for setting this up with Google accounts specifically.
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin