[kwlug-disc] From Slackware to which distro?

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Sun Jun 5 22:27:04 EDT 2022

I use Ubuntu exclusively, and has been for the past ~ 14 years or so.

On the desktop, I have settled on Xubuntu, and it does what I need without
things changing drastically from one LTS release to the other.

On the server side, the LTS server version works really well, and having the
same version on my desktop helps to make everything consistent.

Even on my two Raspberry Pi machines, I have Ubuntu as well.

I am still on 20.04 LTS on all of my machines.
Snapd is a nuisance, but removing it with apt has no ill effect on a server,
nor on an XFCE desktop. If you are using Gnome, this may be different.
Maybe on 22.04 LTS this would be different too, but I will cross that bridge
when I get to it.
With no snapd, everything is still updated as .deb with apt repositories,
and
life is good, as it should be: uneventful, predictable, and consistent.

To those who are considering switching distros, give Xubuntu a try, and
see what happens. You may like it, like I do.