[kwlug-disc] MKS

Steve Izma sizma at golden.net
Fri Jul 29 19:06:58 EDT 2022

On Fri, Jul 29, 2022 at 06:36:13PM -0400, Ron Singh wrote:
> Subject: Re: [kwlug-disc] MKS
>
> Oh my gosh, Steve, I need to be whipped, Yes, MKS! Though I
> could have sworn you were doing some work with WLU at the time?

Yes, I was in two places at once[1]. In fact in late 1986 I held
down three jobs, since I returned to Dumont Press Graphix (a
typesetting co-op) to help wind it down (I had helped start it up
in 1971 and worked there until 1984). I left MKS at the end of
1988 (although I still attended their parties) and continued with
WLU Press for another 27 years.

> Lord, I miss those simpler days of text-based realities and
> 3/$1 hots dogs at that 7/11  next door to my old office:-)

I can't say I miss cheap hot dogs, but I continue to experience
the text-based reality of vi and ksh every day, without regret.
Except maybe for the fact that fewer and fewer people can even
imagine those experiences, making it difficult to explain.

	-- Steve

Footnotes:
[1] "How can you be in two places at once when you're really
nowhere at all?", a song by Firesign Theatre.

--
Steve Izma
-

==
The most erroneous stories are those we think we know best – and
therefore never scrutinize or question.
    -- Stephen Jay Gould, *Full House: The Spread of Excellence
       from Plato to Darwin*, 1996