[kwlug-disc] SMART on USB disks ...

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Sat Jul 2 12:51:04 EDT 2022

Here is another suboptimail behaviour from SMART.

When running -H (health) on the disk with bad blocks, I get:

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED

That means that the disk is good, right?

But, when running with -a, I get these:

1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate 0x000f   077   064  006 Pre-fail  Always - 51921114
7 Seek_Error_Rate         0x000f   077   060   045 Pre-fail  Always -
52739087

Way too many read and seek errors.

And when I run badblocks, there are way too many block errors.

The results are the same over the USB port, or when I dismember the disk
from its enclosure and connect it directly over SATA.