[kwlug-disc] Trouble Reading 1 TB Hard Drive in USB SATA Dock

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Mon Jan 10 01:12:16 EST 2022

On Sun, Jan 09, 2022 at 05:38:54PM -0500, John Driezen wrote:
>I am trying to read a 1 TB hard drive that my friend partitioned and
>formatted on his Windows 10 system.  The hard drive in question is a
>Seagate 1 TB ST1000VM002 SATA hard drive connected to my Linux Mint
>box via a USB SATA dock.  I am running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.1.

I assume your friend was not using this dock, and you are? That's very
probably the problem. Some docks are "helpful" and change sector sizes
(4096->512) for some reason.

Try a different dock, or try it directly in a computer.

There may be a fixed firmware for your dock.

I believe there was a bit of a discussion on this list about a year or
so ago (although my concept of time lately is fuzzy -- that could be
anywhere from 6mo to 3 years ago at this point).

I tossed my dock for this reason. There may have been an alternate
firmware for it, but I couldn't figure out how to load it to try.

--
Chris Irwin

email:   chris at chrisirwin.ca
  xmpp:   chris at chrisirwin.ca