[kwlug-disc] Local IT folks who have experience setting up nextcloud or equivalent ?

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Thu Feb 17 09:33:15 EST 2022

On Thu, Feb 17, 2022 at 8:16 AM Federer Fanatic <nafdef at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Feb 2022 at 16:54, Khalid Baheyeldin <kb at 2bits.com> wrote:
>
>> If you already run Ubuntu, then I assume you want to replace crashplan
>> with a local
>> backup solution? Or are there additional features you need for NextCloud
>> (other than
>> backup).
>>

> Yes. Local, I suppose away from my residence, failing that in my house in
> a location that is securely locked up and "secret"
> so that a thief (highly unlikely) would breakin my house. That is I
> suppose is the benefit of offsite backup. My current data
> resides on a ZFS partition of two identical hard disks. And I have snap
> shots and use
> the perl script that manages the config file.

The offsite copy is useful in many situations, like a break in (which did
happen to me).
And there are even modern threats that this could help with too, such as
ransomware.
But there are other situations that really off site would help, such as a
fire.

It can be as simple as keeping the copy at a friend or relative's house, or
take the copy with
you at your workplace (if you are among those who still have a physical
office), or at a bank's
safe deposit box.

When I had a break in, the entire computer was taken, but a tape copy was
in a drawer somewhere.
I lost a few months' worth of data (between the copy was made and the break
in), but it was not
anything that cannot be reconstructed from paper copies.