[kwlug-disc] Local IT folks who have experience setting up nextcloud or equivalent ?

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Wed Feb 16 16:53:20 EST 2022

On Wed, Feb 16, 2022 at 4:41 PM Federer Fanatic <nafdef at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, I run Ubuntu mostly and currently use crashplan, I would like to have
> my own
> server setup using an opensource solution. I would be willing to pay for
> someone
> who has extensive experience in a home setup. Everything has to be open
> configuration, i.e.,
> you need to show me what you did :-)

If you already run Ubuntu, then I assume you want to replace crashplan with
a local
backup solution? Or are there additional features you need for NextCloud
(other than
backup).

Assuming you only need backup:

Backup can simply be an external disk, over a USB3 connection, or a hotplug
SATA
or e-SATA. There are many programs that can do it, but I prefer an
incremental
backup scheme. That means that you do a full image every week or month,
then
in between the full backups, you do delta backups (things that changed
only).

The tool I use is dump, which works for ext filesystems.

https://linux.die.net/man/8/dump

Full backup, assuming it is mounted at /mnt/extdisk

/sbin/dump -h 0 -b 64 -0 -u -z -f /mnt/extdisk/backup-yymmdd.dump /

Daily backup
DOM=`date +%a`
/sbin/dump -h 0 -b 64 -1 -u -z -f /mnt/extdisk/backup-$DOM.dump /

Then you rotate the disk outside the house, e.g. keep it at a friend or at
your
workplace.

There are other solutions, such as rsync, zfs tricks, ...etc.
As long as you have a backup physically outside your home, you are good,
even
if it is a month out of date. Better than nothing if your computer is
stolen (yes,
that happened to me a couple of decades ago, and I had a tape that saved my
data).