[kwlug-disc] FSF Warns Us To Stay Away From Various Companies

Chris Frey cdfrey at foursquare.net
Sun Dec 25 23:26:41 EST 2022

On Sun, Dec 25, 2022 at 08:34:35AM -0500, Doug Moen wrote:
> From my perspective, things have got much worse in Ontario even over the last
> 3 years. Not sure if anybody but true believers are listening to the FSF's
> warnings.

Sad but true.  What have you seen specifically in Ontario over
the last 3 years?

On Sat, Dec 24, 2022 at 11:30:43PM -0500, Doug Moen wrote:
> Laptop: I have a Thinkpad T14 running Mint. The X200 is unacceptable
> to me for obvious reasons. FSF promotes the idea that the proprietary
> firmware inside the X200 is fine, since there is no way to upgrade
> it. Once closed source firmware is upgradeable, the hardware no longer
> "respects your freedom", so modern CPUs with upgradeable microcode are
> not RYF. I think this is just wrong. Obviously, if you can upgrade the
> firmware, you have more freedom, not less. You can still choose not to
> exercise this freedom.

Different contexts mean tactics can change, even with the same strategy.

The above is a technical view.  i.e. "If product X can technically do more
than product Y, I must have more freedom."

But a power view says: "If firmware upgrades allow someone else to change
my computer, but not me, I have less power over my own computing."

FSF takes the power view nearly all the time.  I appreciate them for that.

> More about open source hardware activism and the real problems that
> need to be addressed: https://www.bunniestudios.com/

Thanks for the link.  I read the latest blog post, about the new project
with "Cramium".  It read very much like a battle plan, and makes total
sense from that perspective.  I'm not sure FSF would endorse it, but
from a strategic sense of gaining ground over time, I like it.  Even
though personally I might buy an X200 for myself in the meantime. :-)

I've added that blog to my tech news list.

- Chris