[kwlug-disc] home security cameras

Colin Mackay zixiekat at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 12:15:48 EDT 2022

Personally, I hate anything cloud connected...  (Says the guy with Google
Home Speakers in his house)...  But there are some cameras that do not
require a paid subscription.

If they have 24v doorbell power on the front and rear door, you could get
away with something like a Eufy video doorbell.  They are WiFi and do not
require a *paid* cloud subscription and have both a battery powered unit
and a 24v 'doorbell' powered unit.  I have the 24v doorbell unit and it
works well enough.  You can view it remotely, answer visitors, and get
alerts when people are detected, download clips to your phone.  They also
have the option of a local SD card in the doorbell camera itself, but I've
not tried that, myself.