[kwlug-disc] home security cameras

CrankyOldBugger crankyoldbugger at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 11:58:22 EDT 2022

Hey gang...

Someone asked me about home security cameras, i.e. which ones to buy, how
do they work, etc.

The obvious answer (I know very little about these) is the Google Nest
cameras.  The person asking questions mentioned that Home Depot has a
two-pack for $439.  But we all know the horror stories about Nest and Ring
sharing the data with whoever asks them politely.

If I had an extra 50-100 hours in a day, I could probably hook up something
with a Raspberry Pi, but I honestly don't have the time right now.  But at
least that solution would be more secure.

Essentially, what they need is something to keep an eye on the front and
back doors.  It's a fairly large house.  However, there is a home across
the street for "special" people who have a bad habit of wandering where
they shouldn't.  So there is a need for security here.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jeff aka Cranky