[kwlug-disc] sadness in Ubuntu land

Andrew Sullivan Cant acant at alumni.uwaterloo.ca
Sun Apr 24 16:44:33 EDT 2022

I saw that article last week, but I don't understand why the PPA is needed.

Here is my context:
* I re-installed my laptop with Ubuntu (v21.10), maybe 2 months ago
* installed various firefox extensions from apt including the Gnome
extension helper:
   - webext-browserpass
   - webext-privacy-badger
   - webext-ublock-origin-firefox
   - chrome-gnome-shell
* then I noticed some inconsistent behaviour in Firefox configuration,
   and realized that there were now 2 copies of Firefox installed
   - snap version, which has been installed by default
   - deb version, which was installed as a dependency from the webext-*
     packages

After I realized this I remove the snap version, `snap remove firefox`,
and everything seems to be working as expected. Including that the apt
installed browser could communicated with the local helpers needed for
the Gnome and browserpass addons.

Tada? I guess...

It was a bit confusing, but now it seems to be working, including
surviving automatic updates.

Hopefully, this is a helpful data point. :)

Andrew