[kwlug-disc] sadness in Ubuntu land

Ron Singh ronsingh149 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 23 20:26:36 EDT 2022

Whoa, that subj line made me think that someone at Ubuntu died!

Your experience with what Ubuntu did with APT, redirecting APT to a SNAP
store is what Mint was very critical of -- Mint's response for their Ver 20
edition was nulling out the SNAP store and allowing APT to install a right
proper Firefox DEB package. Mint does not release a Gnome edition, they do
the Cinnamon/Xfce/Mate DEs and they block SNAP, a winning combination for
me.

If you can deal with above of the above DEs, might be good to hang for a
few months for Mint to release their 2022 editions.
I would also recommend Mint's LMDE5, based on the latest Debian with the
Cinnamon DE. This is a side project of Mint's that may very well become the
de-facto flagship edition from Mint if Ubuntu keeps going along their
questionable path.

If the need for the Gnome DE is non-negotiable, I think getting away from a
Ubuntu-based OS would be best and Fedora is certainly a fine candidate that
attracts few complaints it seems. FWIW.

Thanks,

Ron S.