[kwlug-disc] Now in the market for a new search engine...

Doug Moen doug at moens.org
Fri Apr 22 17:24:30 EDT 2022

Quant has its own web index, so is a true alternative to bing and google. Use !qw in DDG. It is supported by the French government. Russian media disinformation is deranked. Searches for youtube-dl do not yield the home page, as with most search engines, other than DDG and google. Microsoft ads. I got good results for a search that DDG and google failed. Would use again.

Ecosia uses Bing, and gets revenue from Bing advertising. Youtube-dl.org does not appear in first page of results for a youtube-dl search, like DDG before they fixed this. But the Wikipedia page came first, which compensates. I got an obtrusive cookie banner when I tried to use it.

Yacy sounds very cool and indie but my search results for 'signed distance field' were useless random nonsense.

Thanks for mentioning Qwant.

Doug.